Avoiding Triggers During Recovery
We need to develop a positive regard for our unique self that is realistic and recognizes our own value regardless of how we look, perform, or how others feel about us. A strong sense of self and a commitment to living with integrity and self respect are essential in sustaining recovery long term.
Dealing with Anxiety and Depression without drugs, we talked about ways to help mood disorders without drugs. As one of the first steps of recovery, it’s important to know how difficult it can be. It’s also something that must be dealt with. Getting help from a drug rehab in Maryland can help with these mood disorders.
Another huge part of recovery, and one that comes up quicker than you’d imagine, is dealing with triggers. Triggers are people, places, anything that makes you have the urge to use drugs or alcohol again. Triggers are all around us during recovery. It’s easier to ignore triggers while you’re in a drug rehab in Maryland because you have support all around you. In the real world, avoiding triggers can be really tough. Eventually, you’ll be secure enough to be around temptation and not cave in. But in the beginning, avoiding triggers at all costs is key.
Tips For Avoiding Triggers
- Stay away from former hangout spots
- Don’t go to parties where there might be drugs or alcohol
- Steer clear of bars or restaurants that serve alcohol
- Find new friends that never drink or use drugs
- Don’t talk to old friends that use drugs or alcohol
It’s important to develop a lasting commitment to recovery before hitting triggers, head-on. Placing yourself in a situation that causes you to crave drugs or alcohol could result in a relapse.
Do you, or someone you know, have a substance abuse problem? It’s easy to believe that you are alone. In reality, that’s the farthest thing from the truth. There are numerous others in the world suffering from the same substance abuse issues. Regardless of how bad drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. Contact our drug rehab in Maryland, Pyramid Healthcare. We are here to help you get on track to a healthier, happier life.
- The Importance of Life Skills: A Q&A with Sean Rhodes, Life Skills Specialist at Pyramid Healthcare Altoona Detox & Residential Treatment Center
- How to Help Your Loved One Avoid Substance Abuse
- Common Stigmas in Mental Health and How to Increase Awareness
- Mood Disorders: Types, Causes and Symptoms
- Identifying Your Major Depressive Disorder Symptoms